07 Nov 14 Steps to protect your home from burglars
As the nights draw in and the days get shorter what’s on your mind?
Thinking ahead and planning for Christmas?
Researching better electric and gas deals before the cold weather comes rolling?
Or maybe you’re one of these people that see the shorter days as an opportunity to get nice and cosy in front of the fire and telly?
But how many of us use this time of year to review our home’s security?
Burglary rates rise across the UK as Summer time officially ends (this year on Sunday 28 October).
So, with that in mind and with the mantra of ‘it’s better to be safe than to be sorry’ here are some tips from www.police.uk to improve your home’s security:
- Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house, even when you’re just out in the garden, remembering to double-lock UPVC doors (lift handle and turn key).
- Hide all keys, including car keys, out of sight and away from the letterbox (remember a device could be used to hook keys through the letterbox)
- Install a visual burglar alarm
- Install good outside lighting
- Get a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property
- Leave radios or lights in your house on a timer to make the property appear occupied
- Make sure the fences around your garden are in good condition
- Secure bikes at home by locking them to an immovable object inside a locked shed or garage
- Keep ladders and tools stored away; don’t leave them outside where they could be used to break into your home
- Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property
- Ensure rear fencing is in good repair
- Improve natural surveillance at the front of your property i.e. trim high hedges
- Mark your property with postcode and house number and register your property for free with Immobilise
- Consider joining or forming a Neighbourhood Watch scheme
- Remove valuables from view of ground floor windows
- Store any high value items (i.e. jewellery, passports) in a properly secured safe or bank vault
We hope these tips give you and your family the peace of mind to enjoy the Autumn.
Thanks for reading,
p.s. Whether you are selling, buying, letting or renting, we’re here to help. Call our sales team on 01489 579009 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for expert advice which is honest, accurate and informative.